Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Interior Design using Feng Shui, Bohemian and Just Good Design

A few of my clients have been asking that I blog about how to decorate spaces a la Feng Shui and Boho Design, which is what I already do. I've re-written and updated this first post that was missed the first time around!



 Let's jump in by checking out what well done (well mostly) Feng Shui looks like in a design featured in Architectural Digest:

Jaime Drake


Lovely! Why you ask is this well done Feng Shui? There are several key things I look for:

Curvy Yin elements

I notice that most of the tables are round. I see the chairs have curvy lines and the tufting on the sofa is cushy. The ottoman is round as well. All very Yin (feminine) in energy.



Straighter more Yang elements

I see that the white sofa and the coffee table are more linear and while not perfect Feng Shui, they add a harder edge Yang (masculine) energy. Same with the white lamps and accessories which represent the metal element. The throw cushions are perfect to make the linear sofa more soft and inviting. Harmonious Yin & Yang (balance) is the objective! There are more objectives, but these are key.

Cool blues with pops of pink and yellow


The color is very watery; blues and lavenders leaning towards blue. The room has a lot of cool color, but look at the pops of pink. Hot pink! The warm yellow flowers on the side table are a nice addition to the blue and complement the pink. It also brings out the yellow-green in the artwork over the sofa. The twigs in the picture are uplifting tree energy which tempers all the watery color.  

While practicing Feng Shui one of my criteria is how the energy flows around the room. Curves make energy meander in and around objects. Sharp or straight lines make it rush by. I can see that this room is symmetrically set up, and that equals order. Clutter in Feng Shui is a no-no!

Perhaps lumbar cushions and drapery trim


Hmmm…… I think to change it up I might add the fabric above as two lumbar cushions on the chairs and as the drapery trim.

Cheeky, huh? This Pindler & Pindler Puma Pink upholstery fabric is available through Onlinefabricstore.net.  Or how about swapping the cool blue area rug to the Pop Colors Leopard in Azalea Pink and Lime Green shown below from shadesoflight.com?


Instead of cool blue area rug
Animal prints are considered a fire element in Feng Shui and are used to "warm up" a room. All things considered, this is a very serene room for quiet conversation and reflection, an oasis. Very feminine in feeling Probably not a lot of raucous Super Bowl parties here! 



Please leave a comment and let me know how this post has been for you. Is there anything you would like to know about decorating with Feng Shui? Ask away! 



18 comments:

  1. Our expertise and craftsmanship is well fame and we have an extensive variety of involvement in taking care of the necessities of customers all things considered, either from office or to home. By always procuring the notoriety from our clients we are today viewed as the office interiors in coimbatore

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you write and share your niche! Very interesting and different! Keep it coming! Windows company Toronto

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely fantastic posting! Lots of useful information and inspiration, both of which we all need!Relay appreciate your work. high quality hdb renovation contractor

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really a great addition. I have read this marvelous post. Thanks for sharing information about it. I really like that. Thanks so lot for your convene. Full House Renovation Toronto

    ReplyDelete
  6. This in fact is the essence of spiritual Feng Shui which looks at the Feng Shui at a higher level than the other types of Feng Shui which mostly aim at improving at a niche level; be it your office, home or bedroom. what is feng shui

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good artcile, but it would be better if in future you can share more about this subject. Keep posting. ib Laursen

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is really nice to hear. thank you for the update and good luck. בקשת ויזה מקוונת לקנדה

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice post. I was checking constantly this blog and I’m impressed! Extremely useful info specially the last part I care for such information a lot. I was seeking this certain info for a long time. Thank you and good luck. Intian turistiviisumi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice post. I was checking constantly this blog and I’m impressed! Extremely useful info specially the last part I care for such information a lot. I was seeking this certain info for a long time. Thank you and good luck. ויזה ארה"ב ESTA

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your way of writing is amazing. I respect your art of writing. Turkey visa is a single entry travel document to visit turkey.


    ReplyDelete
  12. I am thankful for publishing this article. I've been looking for a similar type of post for a week. Thanks a lot and l'll look forward to reading more from you. I'm so happy to announce that the Myanmar visa online is available for you to obtain. You can generate request via the internet from the comfort of your home.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We would like to extend our sincere appreciation for your invaluable contribution, which has greatly enhanced the overall experience for everyone involved. The India e visa application process was incredibly convenient and user-friendly. I was impressed with how quickly I received my e-visa after submitting the application. The online platform was intuitive and provided clear instructions at every step. The customer support team was also prompt and helpful in addressing my queries. Overall, I highly recommend the India e-visa system for its efficiency and convenience. It made the entire visa application process hassle-free and saved me a lot of time and effort.

    ReplyDelete
  14. International Flights On January 21 Operated By Air India Under Vande Bharat Mission. As part of this mission, Air India facilitated the safe return of citizens who were unable to travel back home due to the ongoing global pandemic. Check out the website for more updated information.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi there! Your posts are a true delight, engaging, and filled with invaluable insights. Explore the Top 10 Restaurants in Kenya, offering a delectable blend of local and international cuisine, providing a delightful dining experience for food enthusiasts.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello! Your content is engaging and informative. I'm eagerly looking forward to reading more of your posts! US citizens can conveniently obtain an Ethiopia eVisa for smoother travel. Familiarize yourself with the process and details of Ethiopia eVisa for US Citizens before planning your trip.

    ReplyDelete